Position type: Volunteer, 2-3 hours/week
Time commitment: 6 months
Deadline for application: Ongoing intake
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Language Partners BC is a volunteer-run organization that supports one-to-one face-to-face language exchange programs in Vancouver and Victoria and trains community members to be facilitators. We bring together adults from different language backgrounds and provide infrastructure for them to learn languages together and build relationships. Many of the participants are new immigrants or refugees, and our programs are focused on supporting these newcomers in conversation and settlement.
We value diversity, equality, peace, camaraderie, fun, and open-mindedness. We are also serious about assessing our work, refining our programs, and growing sustainably to support more people.
The long-term goal is to support dozens of diverse language exchange programs across the province, and a community of trained facilitators.
We are looking for a Social Media & Outreach Coordinator to lead in promoting the organization and its programs, and managing the communities of followers and supporters on social media (at this point, only Facebook).
Past Social Media Coordinators have said that they enjoyed the role, felt supported, and developed skills and abilities that helped them find paid work or feel more confident in their paid work. We hope to offer someone the same positive experience.
- Coordinate regular posts on our Facebook page (minimum 4 posts/week), including original program-related content, graphics, and reposted content related to language learning, community building, key events, organizations, and people in Vancouver, Victoria, and British Columbia.
- Respond consistently to comments, questions, and messages from followers and community members.
- Promote our seasonal language exchange programs by designing and implementing outreach strategies including social media content and hard copy posters.
- Work with the Database & Website Coordinator as needed to ensure our website and Facebook page make sense together and interact effectively.
- Report on progress and troubleshoot challenges in meetings every two weeks with the Director.
- Optional, based on your interest: Develop, propose, and execute your own creative ideas for social media campaigns.
- Experience managing Facebook accounts for a similar group, organization, or issue
- At least basic graphic design abilities
- Passion for community building
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Multilingualism would be a bonus
Photography skills would be a bonus
- Introduction meeting with the Director to develop expectations and a plan
- Access to our full Google Drive of documentation, and administrator access to our Facebook account
- Introductions to the Database & Website Coordinator and Facilitators
- Meetings every two weeks with the Director and email support as needed
If you’re interested, email Mary Leighton at firstname.lastname@example.org, with a resume and an email about why you are a good fit for the role.
In the email subject heading, please write: Social Media & Outreach Coordinator.
We will contact people as soon as they apply, because we are eager to fill this position.