Position type: Volunteer, 4 hours/week
Start and end date: October-November 2022
Deadline for application: September 3 (but apply as soon as possible, because it helps us plan and prepare)
Location: Online from anywhere in British Columbia
Language Partners BC is a volunteer-run cooperative supporting free one-to-one language exchange programs in British Columbia and training community members to be facilitators. We bring together adults from different language backgrounds and provide infrastructure for them to learn languages together and build relationships. Many of the participants are new immigrants or refugees, and our programs are focused on supporting these newcomers in conversation and settlement.
We value diversity, equality, peace, camaraderie, fun, and open-mindedness. We are also serious about assessing our work, refining our programs, and growing to support more people.
Due to COVID-19, we have begun online language exchange programs in place of our usual face-to-face format. The feedback on this format has been positive. This fall, we will be offering as many 7-week programs as possible between October 1 and November 18, based on facilitator availability. The default option will be online, but if you would prefer to facilitate in person, we can look into booking a suitable space.
Our programs have a maximum of 12 participants, to support community building. You have the choice of facilitating on your own or with a co-facilitator. We will be using Zoom and you will receive training on using the platform comfortably, in addition to training on our approach and curriculum.
- Attending all 7 weekly sessions.
- Preparing for each session by reviewing and adapting the curriculum.
- Communicating with participants to remind them of upcoming sessions, follow up if participants miss a session, and troubleshoot any challenges that come up (with support from the coordinator).
- Supporting pair-based language learning by introducing topics and techniques, and helping pairs reflect on their learning process (you will receive training on this).
- Supporting community-building by being friendly, leading group conversations, and modeling how to share information and social resources.
- Gathering and sharing stories from your program sessions to share out on our social media (with permission).
- Attending a facilitator training session before the program starts, and attending a program debrief after the program ends.
- Optional: Participating as a language exchange partner yourself during the program.
Desired Qualifications (But apply no matter what!):
- Experience facilitating language exchange and/or participating in language exchange
- Experience working with groups
- Passion for community building
- Familiarity with Google Docs
- Accountability: Will you show up on time? Will you respond to communication in a reasonable time?
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Genuine curiosity and enjoyment of people
If you’re interested in this position, please send an email to Mary Leighton at [email protected].
In the email subject line, please write: Facilitator
In the email, please write:
- Why you are interested
- Any related experience you have
- A resume is not required, but you are welcome to include one.
We will contact people as soon as they apply, because we are eager to prepare. If you cannot facilitate this season, we will keep you in mind for future programs.