How we collect and use your information
Language Partners BC Co-op.
Last updated: 12 January 2023
“PIPA” is the British Columbia Personal Information Protection Act (2004). The legislation applies to any private sector organization (such as a business or corporation, union, political party, and not-for-profit) that collects, uses, and discloses the personal information of individuals in BC. PIPA also applies to any organization located within BC that collects, uses, or discloses personal information of any individual inside or outside of BC.
“Personal information” under the BC Personal Information Protection Act means information about an identifiable individual. It includes employee personal information but does not include work contact information or work product information.
Obligations under PIPA
- Language Partners BC Co-op shall only collect the personal information that it requires to ensure sound management of the co-op and to fulfill its obligations to its members, its contractual obligations, and any legal requirements.
- Language Partners BC Co-op shall use and share personal information only with the agreement of the individuals concerned, or as provided for in PIPA.
- Language Partners BC Co-op will store documents that contain personal information securely to prevent unauthorized use. The co-op will destroy personal information when the co-op no longer needs it.
- Individuals will, on written request, have access to any personal information that Language Partners BC Co-op has about them. The co-op will provide the information within 30 days, except where to do so would be in violation of PIPA. The co-op will correct any errors in personal information that the individual brings to its attention.
Visiting our website
This website (http://www.languagepartnersbc.ca/) is hosted by Nationbuilder. Nationbuilder collects personal data when you visit this website, including:
- Information about your browser, network and device
- Web pages you visited prior to coming to this website
- Web pages you view while on this website
- Your IP address
Nationbuilder needs this data to run this website, and to protect and improve its platform and services. Nationbuilder analyzes the data in a de-personalized form.
Joining our mailing list
Language Partners BC Co-op uses Nationbuilder to manage our mailing list.
Collection: We collect information such as your name and contact details so that we can send you LPBC updates by email.
Access: Information that you provide in the form will not be shared outside of Language Partners BC without your consent.
Storage: Contact information is stored in our secure Nationbuilder database.
Retention: You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time using the link at the bottom of the emails. After unsubscribing, your information will be deleted.
Registering for our programs
Language Partners BC uses Google Forms to collect and manage applications to register for our language exchange programs.
Collection: We collect information such as your name, contact details, and language information. We use this to process your application, find you a suitable language partner, and contact you about your application.
Access: Information that you provide in the form will be accessible to Language Partners BC administrators. If you are accepted into a program, your information will be shared with the facilitator(s) for the duration of that program to help them communicate with you about your program. This information will not be shared with individuals outside of Language Partners BC without your consent.
Storage: Submitted forms are stored in a Google Drive account managed by the Language Partners BC systems coordinator.
Retention: Language Partners BC will delete your personal information when it is no longer needed to run our operations.