Position type: Volunteer, average 4 hours/week
Start and end date: September-November 2021, with option to continue
Deadline for application: Open deadline until we find the right person
Location: Online from anywhere in British Columbia
Language Partners BC is a volunteer-run organization supporting free one-to-one language exchange programs in British Columbia and training community members to be facilitators. We bring together adults from different language backgrounds and provide infrastructure for them to learn languages together and build relationships. Many of the participants are new immigrants or refugees, and our programs are focused on supporting these newcomers in conversation and settlement.
We value diversity, equality, peace, camaraderie, fun, and open-mindedness. We are also serious about assessing our work, refining our programs, and growing to expand our leadership.
Due to COVID-19, we have begun online language exchange programs, in place of our usual face-to-face format. The feedback has been very positive. This fall, we will be offering as many 8-week online programs as possible between October 4 and November 28, based on facilitator availability.
Our programs have a maximum of 12 participants, to support community building. Facilitators have the choice of facilitating on their own or with a co-facilitator.
The Program Coordinator’s role is to ensure that we continue to offer valuable programs to people in British Columbia. We have an established approach to our programs, but we continue to adapt. The Program Coordinator has the opportunity to apply tested formats as well as innovate. For all Primary Responsibilities below, assume that you will receive abundant support and assistance.
- Plan and execute the fall program cycle.
- Recruit and hire new facilitators.
- Update curriculum.
- Host a virtual Information Session.
- Work with Communications Coordinator and Systems Coordinator to advertise programs and ensure that people can easily sign up.
- Match participants and send confirmations.
- Support facilitators, including providing orientation, Zoom infrastructure, email support, a midway check in, and a debrief after programs end.
- Experience in program coordination.
- Passion for community building.
- Technical proficiency with Google Docs.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Genuine curiosity and enjoyment of people.
- You will be introduced to the methodology of language exchange, the history of Language Partners BC, and introduced to the core team members.
- You will be given access to all of our documents and database.
- You will have a biweekly check-in with the Director of LPBC, with additional meetings as needed.
If you’re interested in this position, please send an email to Mary Leighton at [email protected].
- In the email subject line, please write: Program Coordinator
In the email, please write:
- Why you are interested
- Any related experience you have